JobKeeper Payment – Actual Decline in Turnover Test
• Step 1: identify the turnover test period – for phase 2 this is the quarter ending 30 September 2020
• Step 2: identify the relevant comparison period – for phase 2 this is the quarter ending 30 September 2019
• Step 3: work out the current GST turnover for the periods – the easiest way to do this is check what has
been reported on the BAS for each period. You must use the same accounting basis you use when you are
preparing your BAS’s. If you are not registered for GST, you can work out the time you made sales either on
a cash basis or accruals basis but you must use the same accounting basis for both test periods.
• Step 4: determine which shortfall percentage applies – this is 30% for small business or 15% if you are an
ACNC registered charity and 50% if you are a large business. Generally the shortfall percentage is 30%.
• Step 5: determine if GST turnover has declined by the specified shortfall percentage – compare both test
periods and if your turnover has declined by the shortfall percentage you have satisfied the actual decline in
turnover test for the quarter.